Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Paris

If you eat Onion Soup in France, is it French Onion Soup?


We found a fun little cafe to eat lunch. Nathaniel can totally pull off that hat!

This area (Sacre Couer) was one of my favorite places in Paris. It rained all 3 days
we were in Paris, but it didn't make things too crazy.


The Eiffle Tower


Notre Dame

Notre Dame wasn't really what I expected, but it was neat. I guess I thought it would be bigger
and have more rooms or something. It amazes me that people could build such a structure
without the tools and technology we have now. It took over 200 years to build.


The Mona Lisa

There she is... It actually wasn't too hard to get up close to this painting.
There were A LOT of people around, but I'm glad it didn't take long. :)


The "Chunnel" train from Paris to London

Most of the ride is through beautiful Paris countryside. We passed little town after
town, each with its own cool church. The train took about 2hrs 15 mins to get to London,
with only about 7-10 minutes under the English Channel.


Sacre Couer

This was one of my favorite cathedrals from the outside.


With my sister at the Eiffle Tower


All 4 of us: Lina, Than, Emily & Dad

The first week of the trip was just the 4 of us pictured above.
Later we joined up with more of my family.

Here are some of Nathaniel's thoughts about Paris (more eloquent & detailed):
We arrived in Paris in the early afternoon, struggled a little to figure out which was
the train that would take us closest to our hotel, finally got on a train (whether the right one
or not, I still am not sure), and came out into downtown Paris. We weren’t too far from
the hotel, but we didn’t have our bearings, and we did have all of our luggage, so we got
a taxi to take us. When we handed him the address of the hotel, he laughed,
said something in French, and made little walking motions with his fingers.
Then he shrugged and took us a few blocks to the hotel.
Upon arriving at the Holiday Inn in Paris, we found we had only booked a room
for one person, and they didn’t have a room big enough for four people. They were very nice,
though, and gave us two rooms right next to each other for almost no additional charge.
We stowed our bags, filled our water bottles, and headed out.
That first day in Paris, we saw Notre Dame, the Eiffel Tower, and the Louvre,
and we took a cruise up the River Seine. Notre Dame struck me as very spacious
and beautiful. When I read the Hunchback, I hadn’t pictured that huge, vaulted central
chasm of the cathedral proper; I had pictured kind of a maze of rooms and corridors,
story after story. I didn’t picture those huge, intricate stained-glass windows. I certainly
wasn’t expecting all the people worshipping in there. I guess because it’s so old and historic,
I thought it would be a museum rather than an active place of worship. We walked by the
confessional booth, heard some of Vespers, and saw people praying in the chapel there.
Despite the throngs of people, it felt like a sacred place, in a way, and I really enjoyed it.
The Eiffel Tower was just how it looks in all the pictures, but it was a lot bigger than I
thought. It’s enormous! That first arch of the legs is probably taller than the Logan Temple.
There wasn’t much to do there other than oggle, so we didn’t spend much time there.
The Louvre was amazing. For one thing, I’ve never seen such a large building. That is,
not tall, but SPRAWLING. It just kept going, and going, and going. We walked through
some paintings first; I had heard that the Mona Lisa is always thronged with people and not that
impressive, so I wasn’t going to see it, but we ended up walking by anyway. I saw it from a
distance, and the rest of the party went in for a closer look. I really enjoyed the paintings,
though after a while they seemed to all be pretty similar. I guess that’s the effect of a huge
museum that groups paintings by era and nationality; you do get lots of similar paintings all
together. Then we went to the sculptures. I really liked some of the sculptures; my favorites
were one of a lion attacking a man, and one of Prometheus chained to a rock. There was also
a cool action sculpture of Hercules fighting Cerburus. Lina was very tired by this point, so she
kept sitting down and falling asleep. The Seine River cruise was peaceful and beautiful.
It’s a very scenic river, with 18th century buildings all up and down the river, as well as
some much older buildings (Notre Dame). The banks are built up with rocks, and there
is a pleasant little walking path along the river. That was a good thing to end the day with,
because we were very tired.

7 comments:

Jen said...

Awesome...love the pic with you and the tower, what a great trip! Jealous!

Sylwia said...

awesome pictures! but i want more. can you also upload them bigger, it's an option in blogger to either upload small med or large. please choose the large!

Sarah said...

I think I'm jealous! Okay I know I am. But I'm glad that you guys are home. Those are some fun pictures!

the browns said...

Sounds like an amazing time! I am jealous!! You guys totally deserved it. We are glad to have you back.

Anonymous said...

That looks so fun! I loved the pictures- I thought the one of Lina touching the Eiffel tower was great!

Next time we'll go with... if we're rich.

Kristin said...

Way cool! I still want to hear about it in person though... :)
We are here in SLC for about a week, then we will both be gone for a few weeks, to answer your previous question. Are you guys planning any trips to SLC soon? ;)

Melissa Hislop said...

Hey, I finally found your blog! I love the French taci driver. That's good he just laughed, the few I met just swore at other drivers (luckily in French, but I knew what he was saying).
The Sacre Coeur was my favorite too! I'm so glad you got to go.

Blog Archive

Leelou Blogs