Monday, December 14, 2009

I would've never guessed...

A few years ago I would NEVER have thought I would be considering
or trying some of these things:

Cloth Diapers - I just ordered some for a trial.
Don't worry, we have some disposables too.

Natural Birth - I guess I should say I'm not trying it, but am going to do it, right?!

HypnoBirthing - Learning a method for natural birth helps me feel more
capable and prepared. Two classes down, three to go.

A Midwife - So this isn't really as "far out" as it may seem because I am going
to give birth in a hospital. She's basically an OB/GYN that doesn't do surgery.

A Doula - I hadn't even heard of a doula until about a year ago. I thought it sounded
interesting but that I wouldn't ever really want or get one. I just want one now,
we're not sure we need one or want to pay for it though.

Think I'm crazy? I would have, but now it seems like the way to go...

8 comments:

The Larchars said...

I will be very interested in hearing how it all works out, and if you were glad you did that. Most women I hear who do have natural births, would do it again. What you are doing is actually becoming very popular now a days. I hope everything goes smooth and that it will be a wonderful birthing experience!

I don't feel very capable of it because I don't feel as if I have much self control for that. But I could totally see you doing just fine!!!

Jill said...

Oooo - what cloth diapers did you order? We're slightly addicted to them. Seriously. Even Dave is hesitant to put a disposable on our baby now. And it's not for reasons of being green. It's for poop-containing purposes. I'm always interested in learning what other people try and like.

Good luck with everything! The best birth is one you feel good about - no matter how it goes, who is there, where it occurs or what happens.

a really long p.s.
I love, love, love doulas. Love them. Well, good doulas. There are those that aren't very helpful and give doulas a bad name, just as there are in every profession in the world. If I had the money, I would start a foundation where new moms could apply for money to help pay for a doula. I think it would have been enormously helpful to have a doula with my first baby, not having a CLUE what to expect - in spite of all the reading I had done. Sorry. I loved my doula. She helped me so much and allowed Dave to focus on me instead of all the stuff going on around us. I could go on forever.

Brent and Shanna Farley said...

Midwifes are great and in the hospital is great. That is what we did and it is a good thing since we had complications. Good luck with the natural child birth. I hope it is a wonderful experience for you. :)
Cloth diapers? have fun with that one. Hope it goes well. I got sick of cleaning up clothes that were explosive... so cleaning diapers all the time... that could be interesting. maybe it will work for you.

Jessica Madsen said...

Lina, you are so smart to consider and learn about your options. And it sounds like you have chosen the right way for you. With all of your ducks in a row, like you have lined them up, your going to have a wonderful experience. So excited and happy for you!! Go LINA!!

Kati said...

I would go that way if I was able to. Go Lina!!!
If there still as a diaper service I'd probably go with cloth diapers. However I am extremely queasy....I couldn't handle the clean up. Plus I never do my laundry on time. Imagine the smell in my really small apartment.

Homeschool Mamma said...

Way to go Lina. I'm sure you'll succeed -- and love it. All the best with cloth diapers. I think I could've done that until Amy started eating solid foods... then I'm not so sure. My sister says that her kids don't have blowouts in cloth diapers though... so maybe you won't need as much of that Zout after all.

Stephanie said...

Sounds like fun. I'm so excited for you! Let me know how it all turns out. :)

Jessica said...

Hey!

I'm a friend of Nathaniel's from high school. Good to see your blog! Congrats on expecting.

I LOVE cloth diapering. I use g-diapers with prefolds as inserts (cheaper than their cloth or disposable inserts) and I also use the cottonbabies flip diapers and econobum with prefolds as inserts (folded in thirds short-ways when baby is small, long-ways for when baby is bigger). I like the cottonbabies ones (the econobum are my favorite and cheapest!) because they are just great covers (no leaks, ever) and she will wear one cover a day, usually, and I just wash change out the prefolds. So I only have 5 total diaper covers, with prefold to swap out, and I only do diaper laundry every 4-5 days. It's great! Welcome to cloth and good luck with your decisions.

Blog Archive

Leelou Blogs