Norwegian Constitution Day is celebrated on May 17th (Syttende Mai).
You can attend a Syttende Mai celebration in SLC at the International Peace Gardens. The celebration wasn't until Saturday, May 19th, but Nathaniel and I happened to do sealings in the Timpanogos Temple on May 17th. All of the couple sealings we performed were for Norwegians! When the sealer was about to start, he mentioned that they were from Norway and I couldn't help but smile. Then I realized it was Norwegian Constitution Day and excitedly whispered that to Than. Then I told the group, and later another temple worker asked how I knew that. I told him that,
"I'm a proud half-Norwegian." We had planned to get to the Temple earlier, but things didn't work out. Once we got to the sealing office we were initially assigned to another group. They almost switched another couple, but then they switched us at the last minute. It had been a hard day and I didn't feel much like going, and I was worried about Seth because he was kind of sick and hadn't nursed that well before. But we ended up in that group and both Seth and Anika were just great
while we were gone. And I felt better after going; as usual.
The whole experience was a bunch of little tender mercies for me.
Here is Anika sailing her viking ship across the ocean.
The stage, some flags and some little signs that represent the cities.
The dancers.
My dad came with me, Anika and Seth. Nathaniel had class and rode his bike to my parents' house later.
SLC Letter Carrier Band
The beginning of the parade.
We're in the parade!
Norwegian hot dogs (polse) wrapped in lefse (a flatbread like a tortilla made from potatoes).

3 comments:
The temple is such a wonderful place to go. It seems like when we plan on going thing always make it harder to go, but when we do go it is so much better.
Love the Norwegian Days!
We were married on Norwegian Constitution Day. Brandon'e a quarter Norwegian and his Grandpa was so happy when he found out what day we picked.
Looks like fun! That's great that things worked out so serendipitously for your temple visit! Tender mercies indeed.
Post a Comment