Last Saturday I participated in the Art City (Springville) 5k with Seth,
Anika and my sister, Emily. I woke the kids up around 6:30am and
neither of them fell back asleep in the car or during the race.
When I woke Anika up she said, "But, Mom. I'm tired." :(
During the race she would say, "We're going so fast," and ask if were
chasing the cars. The race was sponsored by Nestle, so there were some
fun after-race treats and snacks.
Anika kept herself busy for awhile alternating between a melting chocolate-covered ice cream popsicle and an apple. We didn't stay for the whole raffle after so
I don't know if we would have won anything :(
Meanwhile...
Nathaniel did his first century bike ride. He had fun drafting with random groups of people. We had the camera so he didn't take any pictures. (Nathaniel's part:
It was a really fun ride (this was the Pony Express century in Eagle Mountain).
The first 35 miles or so were kind of rolling hills with a headwind, and I was
glad to be in a long line of riders. Even though they were strangers, and even
though we didn't really talk, we all shared a laid-back sort of camaraderie.
I liked it when I finished taking my turn in the lead and fell back, everyone said
"Nice pull," or "Thanks for the pull" or something like that.
Then there was a 9-mile, 6% climb up to Eureka during which I died. Well, I didn't die, but I went down to lowest gear, and I was just crawling along. I remember sweat poring down my face, inching up the hill, getting passed by other bikers, feeling miserable, and then I looked back down the mountain and I saw other bikers climbing up toward me, and I thought, "These too shall pass." Then I kind of got the giggles for a while, which happens to me sometimes when I'm exhausted.
At the top, which was about half way, we had lunch, and then it was downhill. I was with a group for a while, but it was a much smaller group, and we kept splitting up, and I ended up just riding with one other guy from that group. Then we caught another guy, and the three of us rode together for a while. Once we turned north, toward Tooele, there was a good tailwind, and I was going pretty fast. I can't say how fast exactly, because my dumb computer decided to turn metric (it's not supposed to do that unless you do a factory reset, which I didn't). I do remember seeing 61 km per hour at one point (and that was on a flat stretch).
I was completely on my own for a while, but I didn't mind with the tailwind. Around mile 65/70, I started feeling kind of sick, probably from the heat. When I pulled into the final rest stop at mile 82, I was about ready to throw up. So I laid my bike down (in the sun, because the shade was very limited) and sipped water slowly under the tiny pavilion. After 5 or 10 minutes of that, there was a bang like a gunshot, and it turned out that my tire had kind of exploded. I'm guessing the heat built up the pressure in the tube too much, and it just burst (both the tire and the tube split). I had a spare tube, but no one takes a spare tire along, so that ended my race. 82 miles. It was really fun, and I'm glad I did it. Another time I'll finish one.
Here is Anika with her new friend.
This little girl is so sweet and nice and shares well.
Anika even let her older sister paint her fingernails and toenails. Something I have offered to do several times, but she has never let me. Ha.

4 comments:
That is amazing the kids did so well while you ran the race! We have that same jogger stroller, but ours is blue & grey. Sad about the bike tire, but 82 miles is awesome! Cute kids & fun update!
Way to go guys, you both sounds like you had a great Saturday. Sorry about your tire- that is no fun and you were so close. But you did so well at the same time.
Ry- quick tip: put a dollar bill between your tire and tube for a temporary patch. The strong material helps from punctures. I have tried it and it works.
Nice. You guys are putting us to shame ;)
What fun adventures you guys have been having! Sorry I didn't see your past comment on my blog until just now! So to answer your questions:
The My Fitness Pal app is really easy to use and the more you use it, the easier it is. (It remembers everything you ever put into it.) You can also "scan" food items with your camera phone so you don't have to type it in.
We don't have an ipad. I have an ipod that we got for video/picture purposes about a year ago, but I find that I'm using it for dozens of other things now!! I love the ipod.
I still plan to do the Pinterest challenge, and you are welcome to join if you'd like! (Even if it is a modified version. :)
Croutons make great bread crumbs too! That's a good trick to remember!
I hope things are going well for you! I drove close to your house the other day and thought of you, but I couldn't stop because I had to get back to my babysitter. David has been gone for a LONG time (at least it seems like it to me), and will be gone for awhile longer so I don't have the luxury of having a babysitter in the evenings and weekends like I usually do. Anyway, that is why I didn't stop to say hi! Sorry!
Post a Comment