Sunday, June 12, 2016

Bible School Singing Follow-Up

Grr... I am so frustrated. This is supposed to come after my post about the kids attending a vacation bible school this week, but that post has disappeared 😭.  It was almost done and had taken A LOT of time because of the way I had to add my photos and the details I had included to help my kids remember. But I hadn't published it yet because I wanted to ask them what their favorite part was. I'm pretty sure it was saved at some point, but maybe not. 
Anyway. Sorry to complain- just wanted to tell someone.

(Than or Dad, please let me know what to edit. It's late)

On the last day of Vacation Bible School, the Methodist church sent home a flier inviting the kids to come sing a couple songs at their Sunday services. My kids thought it sounded fun. I thought so too. So we went!

 This lady was in charge of the Imagination Stations (crafts, experiments, etc.) during VBS. She was very sweet.
My kids wore their shirts over their Sunday clothes so we could head straight to our church after.

It was fun to see them sing with a small sampling of the 300 kids that attended VBS. They were so cute!
Anika is on the far right in the blue skirt. Seth is next to her but slightly hidden.

It was interesting to hear the preacher's sermon, and the band sing and play.
We stayed for most of the service. Anika and Seth got to go downstairs with the kids after singing. They got to help assemble bags of food for kids who don't have food over the summer- the kids who usually get breakfast and lunch for free at school, but don't have enough/any at home.  They also got to play and color. When we went down to get them, they were sad to leave.

The reverend taught about how by small things, great things are brought to pass. He also talked about having your beliefs and your actions in alignment. Whether your beliefs or your actions are lacking (or both!), work to get them aligned because that is integrity. When they are in alignment, you can avoid discomfort in your life that manifests itself in any and ALL kinds of ways.

I've heard that some bands are really rocking out when they play at church. The little group that played at this church was not too loud or overdone. I enjoyed it. While I recognize the importance of reverent and respectful music at church, I  also appreciate the praise and the feeling in many songs I've heard while here in The South. I feel like other churches often do a better job at worshipping through music. Or since I don't really know that, I assume so.

It caused me to reflect on the praise and feeling I've been lacking when singing hymns at church. That reminds me of our first Thanksgiving here in Georgia. Our neighbors invited us over for a pre-Thanksgiving party. It was a big group of people- mostly their friends, who also mostly happened to be from their church. (We all know how that goes, right?) It was a pleasant evening. Nathaniel took the kids home to bed and I stayed longer. At the end, everyone came together to sing hymns. People would call out hymn numbers (their hymnal had many more than ours- maybe at least 500) and everyone sang. They sang so loudly and beautifully, it was amazing. I thought it would be so neat if it sounded like that when we sang at church.

1 comment:

Audrey said...

From the limited number of services I've gone to at other churches, I too have noticed that other religions tend to be more passionate about their music than us Mormons. Not sure what we could do to put a little more pep in our singing. How fun that your kids went to VBS. Between you, Valerie, and a couple of moms I've met from the elementary school, I feel like I need to look into it for my kids next summer.

Blog Archive

Leelou Blogs