Thursday, December 18, 2008

Our Christmas Tree

As you can see in an earlier post, our tree looked pretty sad.  
I also mentioned we hoped to decorate it a little different every year
and not really have a regular theme.  That came about because I had asked 
Nathaniel if we should get some decorations after Christmas when they are 
super-clearanced.  He was hesitant because he remembered some fun times 
growing up and decorating their tree differently and cleverly some years.  
One year I guess they used toilet paper and small ballons.  It may sound odd, 
but those are the times you remember, aren't they? 
 So, we needed to figure out how to decorate our tree...  
I was looking at it with the star (Nathaniel made it from butter boxes 
and tinfoil the first year we were married) we stuck on the tree until we 
could figure out what to do.  I don't know how I got the idea, but suddenly 
I decided it would be so fun/cool to decorate our tree with saran wrap, 
wax paper and tinfoil!  I wanted either red or blue saran wrap to wrap 
around the tree like garland or popcorn.  The wax paper was to make snowflakes 
and thenI needed to come up with some sort of ornament out of the tinfoil.
I went to several stores and couldn't find any colored saran wrap.
Finally I found red and green at K-mart, but no blue!  Thankfully my preschool
had some I could trade for.  Serena and I cut out snowflakes while we watched
Horton Hears a Who and Nathaniel covered little ornaments in tinfoil.  
First I had tried a few ways of trying to make ornaments from tinfoil,
but nothing really worked. So we settled on covering existing ornaments.
Before that, when Nathaniel saw the ball of tinfoil I had sitting on one of the
branches (I had to see how it looked), he burst out laughing and said,
"I'm finished with my baked potato." and then pretended to scruch up his potato
tinfoil and put it on the tree.  Then he laughed some more.  He thought it is was
just SO FUNNY that it looked like "a little ball of garbage" on 0ur tree.  
I couldn't get any really satisfying pictures, but hopefully
you get an idea of the finished product and the details...
If you want to come see it in person, please do!


3 comments:

Sarah said...

Can't say that I've ever seen a tree like yours. It sort of sounds like fun though. I like your guys' blue Christmas lights too. Yea for Christmas trees!!

J&J Binghameez said...

I am very impressed! What a fun tradition that would be. It really looks so good! Merry Christmas. Oh and I went to send you a christmas card and realized we have a wrong address for you. If you don't mind, will you send your address to my email. Thanks and merry Christmas! jamiebeez@gmial.com

Sarah said...

Hey Lina, I still like your Christmas tree, albeit February. I tagged you, take a look at our blog.

Blog Archive

Leelou Blogs