She's awake!As of yesterday, Anika is two weeks old! We had hoped she wouldn't still be in the hospital :(
but at least she is being taken care of.
If her feedings go well enough today, we can change from giving her 1 in 2 feedings
to 2 in 3. Then she'll have to eat 70% of her oral feedings for two days until we move
to feeding her all the time. Then she has to eat 70% of ALL of her feedings for two
days before she can go home. It seems like it will be forever... especially since it is
likely/possible that she won't progress at that rate and it will take more than
2 days to get the 2 good days.
Here is Anika during her feeding. Does it look like she is eating?That is her hand up by her face. She likes to do that a lot.
She is gaining weight. At birth she weighed 5lbs 3oz; now she weighs 5lbs 15oz.
At birth she was cute; now she is still cute.
At birth she had cheeks; now her cheeks are getting a little chubby.
We LOVE visiting and being with her, but it is getting REALLY old driving
to the hospital all the time (but at least it is close). We have to "scrub in" up to the
elbow for 5 minutes before we can hold her (but at least we hopefully won't get her sick).
All this scrubbing makes for very dry hands. So, of course, I usually remember to
put lotion on right before we go to the hospital so I can wash it all off right away
(but at least we have lotion). We go in the middle of the night too, and it is
SO cold outside (but at least it isn't as cold as Logan). It seems like several
times a day that I think, "Why can't it be summer?"
Sleeping again. But at least she did eat about 70% of her food first.Nathaniel has been a trooper and went to her 4:30 am feeding the last
two mornings and did a great job getting her to eat. Who knew feeding a baby
could be so particular and complicated?
We are most grateful for all the help we have received. The meals have been
really yummy, healthy and nice to eat after a long day. Some wonderful people
have even come and helped clean our house! Thanks, Rachel, Corrinn and Brad!
We really have been blessed. I didn't mean to be so negative; we are truly
thankful for our little girl and that she has been as healthy as she is!

I'm still intending to post about the whole birthing experience/adventure.
Maybe I'll get around to it in the next few days...

5 comments:
I love reading the updates. Thanks for keeping us in the know. You really have through a lot. I don't think you are complaining at all...just telling us what's going on. You guys have been put through the wringer. I can only imagine. We will keep hoping and praying she can come home soon. And I can't wait to read about the delivery experience/adventure! I'll be staying tuned!
Oh my gosh!!!! She is SOOOOOOO beautiful!!! And I'm not just saying that like some people say it just to be nice. She really is such a cute little girl! Those are great pictures! Looking forward to more posts!
Oh Lina,
I love the update and sweet pictures. It has been alot you have been going through and I want you to know that your family-especially Anika is in our prayers. Hopefully these next feedings go well.
I feel guilty, we haven't done anything for you guys. I'm just so obsessed with getting my baby out. And of course Aiden is sick, again, so we won't be coming to visit.
But someday we will see you again...
I can tell she is growing! I am so impressed with your amazing attitude. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to visit your own 2 week old child in the hospital. I am really impressed that you are so positive about it. It would get really easy to be discouraged. But life without the baby would be that much worse! I'm glad to see the updates, and I hope you get the delivery story up soon, I'm interested to read it!
Post a Comment