Friday, October 15, 2010

Farfar

FRANKLIN AUNE

http://mi-cache.legacy.com/legacy/images/Cobrands/DeseretNews/Photos/0000628868-02-1_184407.jpgFranklin A Aune 1920 ~ 2010 Franklin A Aune died peacefully, surrounded by family, at home in West Jordan, Utah, October 11, 2010. He was bom December 15, 1920 in Bergen, Norway to Arne Marius Aune and Clara Salome Jensen. He married Birgith M Jorgensen September 7, 1946 in Bergen, Norway. Their marriage was solemnized in the Salt Lake Temple in 1949, soon after immigrating to America in late 1948. After being baptized when he was nine, Franklin served faithfully in many callings of responsibility in the LDS Church and he helped rear five sons to be active members of the Church. Franklin loved and sacrificed much for his family, including emigrating from Norway to Utah to give his family a better life. With his support, five sons went on missions and all five received college degrees. Franklin was known as a hard and dependable worker. He also loved camping and taking his sons fishing. He is survived by sons, Arne (Linda), Frank (Becky), Brent, Ray (Sheri), Rulon; a brother, Kenneth; sisters, Bella Gaarder and Adel Nielsen; 18 grandchildren (who knew him as Farfar) and 21 great grandchildren. Services will be at noon, Sat., Oct. 16, 2010 in the Forestview Ward, 1111 Charlton Ave (2815 S), Salt Lake City, where friends may call 10:30 -11:45 a.m. Interment, Wasatch Lawn Memorial Park. Franklin's family expresses thanks to Intermountain Home Care for their devotion and care to Dad.



My grandpa (Farfar, my father's father) passed away on Monday. I guess he decided
to spend the holidays and celebrate both his and my grandma's birthday with my grandma.
He talked and had dreams about making hjortebakkel (sounds like yo tuh bah kuh)
during the last couple weeks. Maybe they'll be making some together this Christmas.
photo credit:
http://www.dinmat.no/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/media/images/hjortebakkels/393430-1-nor-NO/Hjortebakkels_medium.jpg

Even though he was unresponsive, we were able to get there before and say good-bye.
Sometimes the whole thing still feels like a weird dream. He had had a rough
couple of weeks after a fractured vertebrate that left his legs paralyzed.

I am glad that on Conference Sunday we were able to have a good visit with him.
He told us the Lord's been good to him. He told us about all the fruits and vegetables he
grew at his house in Sugarhouse. He lived in that house from 1948 until 2009 when
he moved in with my parents. He did lots of home canning, cooking, and especially baking!
He was the one that got me hooked on apricot leather :) When we would go to visit
Farmor and Farfar, they ALWAYS had krumkaker to share. They also often
had apricot nectar to drink. He would mix it with Sprite.


I noticed his bedside table with a container of orange slices, a bowl of Cheetos, a cup of water,
a magnifying glass for reading and a box of tissues as I asked if there was anything I could get for him.
He said, "No. Ray (my dad) takes good care of me. He knows what I need."

I didn't know this until he started living with my parents, but it wasn't uncommon
to hear Farfar singing Norwegian songs and lullabye's to himself as he went about his day.
It was fun to hear him sing them to Anika as she sat on his lap.
I wish I had asked him to sing another for her that day.


He was always SO FRUGAL! I have never met anyone more so. He had lived through
the Great Depression and WWII in Norway when the Germans rationed their food.
As I looked around the room, I noticed pictures of his family, wife, and children. He also
had an American flag and two Norwegian flags. I noticed his scriptures behind him
on the headboard; he was so good about reading his scriptures. He knew what was important.


It will be sad to make Norwegian cookies, have a traditional Norwegian Christmas Dinner,
and continue our other Christmas traditions without him, but I am glad that we have
so many traditions to celebrate and help us remember our Farmor and Farfar!

4 comments:

Meredith said...

That was a sweet post Lina. Sorry for your loss! It sounds like he had a great life.

Kristin said...

I'm so sorry Lina! I had no idea, and I hope you are doing okay! I bet it would be really hard to make the cookies without him. I always thought he was such a sweet grandpa. You wrote some tender things and it was nice to read. I'm glad Anika was able to hear him singing, even if for a short time in her life.

Jill said...

I'm so sorry, Lina. He sounds like a wonderful grandpa. I loved reading your memories - it got me interested in Norwegian culture and I read and read for about an hour. :)

Audrey said...

Sounds like a lot of good memories and wonderful traditions that you can continue. I'm glad you were able to say goodbye.

Blog Archive

Leelou Blogs