Silly Anika broke her arm on Saturday night!
After this picture was taken she said, "That was a good cheese."
She fell from a step stool about one foot off the ground.
She had been standing on it to turn the lights off and on and off and on.
We called the after hours clinic about 8:30pm and headed right over. We waited forever for the doctor, then had to go get X-rays from the hospital which also took forever. Then we went back to the doctor with the X-rays. It is a buckle fracture just above her wrist. Anika was hardly cooperative. At the hospital when she was getting X-Rays, I could hear her screaming down a pretty long hall even though she was in a room with the door shut. To get her cast on was another ordeal. I was sitting on the table with her on my lap. I was holding her with my arms and legs. It also took Nathaniel a nurse and the doctor a bit of fight to get it on her. She calmed down more or less after Nathaniel started talking about the white padding as a mitten like the one from "The Mitten." I asked her if she thought the big brown bear could fit inside, etc.
Then she was all charm. We were the last ones to leave the office, and she had everyone (6+ people)
in love with her. She was being cute and saying things like: I got an owie. I got a big, big bandaid
(as she held up her cast). I got a picture (X-ray) of my arm. I got a sticker.
She has to have the cast on for 5-6weeks, and it can't get wet.
When the doc asked how good of an escape artist she is, I thought of all of the clothes and pajama combinations we have had to try with her to keep her dressed. She has tried to get the cast off and often asks for us to take it off. Her wardrobe options have been limited (we did have a cardigan over this dress).
The first night she didn't want to wear anything, and I finally convinced her to wear a zip-up jacket for pajamas. She had gotten the jacket off by the time I got her the next morning.
Anika needs more help than usual but is managing pretty well.
She is still very busy and hasn't seemed to have a lot of pain.
In the 2 weeks since Seth was born we have visited the doctor and hospital A LOT:
January 7 - Seth was born, stay in hospital
January 8 - Stay in hospital
January 9 - Stay in hospital, barely managed to get discharged
January 10 - Seth to hospital for bilirubin check
January 11 - Seth to hospital for bilirubin check
January 12 - Seth to doctor for weight check and to get frenulum clipped
January 13 - Seth to hospital for bilirubin check
January 14 - nothing
January 15 - nothing, but we discover Anika has croup
January 16 - Anika 2 year appointment
& Seth to hospital for bilirubin check
January 17 - Lina to doctor to get hematocrit checked
& to hospital to get Seth's footprints
January 18 - nothing, but Seth gets a cold
January 19 - nothing
January 20 - Lina to dentist :)
& Nathaniel to doctor for Tdap vaccination
January 21 - Anika to doctor
& to hospital for X-rays
& back to doctor for her cast
And today (January 24) I took Seth for his 2 week check-up
I think we are well on our way to meeting our out-of-pocket max for insurance.
I think we are well on our way to meeting our out-of-pocket max for insurance.

3 comments:
Wow. I've been super paranoid about Cooper breaking a limb or splitting his head open lately. I swear little kids are just like crazy monkeys without any inhibitions. Very impressive that you guys have almost met your out of pocket and it's only January, you guys are very talented ;) Good luck with everything!
Wow Lina, that is crazy! I hope it doesn't ever get worse than that! Going out with a two year old and newborn so much has got to be exhausting!
OH my , what a month!!! I am so sorry! I hope that poor, cute little girl is doing better, and that you are all much healthier now! Here's to wishing you a better rest of the year!
Post a Comment