Sunday, May 10, 2009

Exam 2

Since I took the first actuarial exam in March I've been trying to study about six hours
per week for the second exam. Then for the last two weeks I stepped it up and studied a TON.
I did every question from past years' tests that have been released. I even timed myself on the
May 2005 test and got 88%. When I went to the U of U testing center on Friday to finally take
the test, I felt good about it, and I felt ready to have it over.

Once I started the test, my heart sank. The first question was easy; then I had no idea on
the next three questions. As I went on, I kept hoping that the hard questions would end and
the easy ones would start, but they never did. With about fifteen minutes left, I realized
that I had probably failed. I finished it up, took the little survey that comes up after the test,
and then braced myself for the worst. To my surprise, the message that popped up was,
"Congratulations! ... you passed."

When I left the testing center, the girl at the desk printed out my results and used a
little clamp to emboss them. As she handed me the printout, she glanced at it, did a little
double-take, and said, "Hey, congratulations. No one has been passing that one." That made me
feel a little better about myself; I wasn't the only one who thought it was a hard test.

(Here I am telling Lina the good news as I walk out of the testing center)

Now that I've passed that test, I can start applying in earnest for actuary jobs.
Hopefully we'll have good news soon.

On Saturday, we went to the house of my friend Dustin and had breakfast with him and
Cynthia, his fiance. This was partly because we will be in Norway when they get married,
and we wanted to do something with them before the big day.
Then we had a pleasant day visiting with our families and relaxing. Several people have
asked me, "How does it feel to be all done with school?" and for the last week, the answer has
really been, "I don't know." I had put off celebrating graduation and relaxing until after
this test, but now I'll go ahead and say, "It feels good."

8 comments:

Sylwia said...

congratulations on your exam! that's great! i hope you will get a job soon!

ATP said...

Congrats! That's awesome!

Kristin said...

Congratulations Than! That is exciting news! I feel like we are both in the same boat now, graduated, and moving on to new things. Good luck and I hope we can see you guys soon!!

Nancy said...

"Then we had a pleasant day visiting with our families and relaxing." What about the part where you came to your parents' and cleaned house? That was a great present for Mother's Day! I'm only sorry that I wasn't home to enjoy your company.

I love you guys!

Mom Nancy

Kati said...

congratulations!! I hope you guys find a good job and get to make lots of money and get to stay in Logan!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Nathaniel!

I don't know much about those, but I do know that tests kill my brain.

Good job!!

Shayla and James said...

Wow! Congrats. You sure worked hard with studying, and it payed off. I hope you have great luck in finding a super job and to be off to Norway. We are jealous.
Thanks for your great examples.
:)Shayla and James

big MAK said...

Hurray for Nathaniel!! We knew you would do just great! Good luck on the job hunting it is so fun!

Blog Archive

Leelou Blogs