Thursday, May 21, 2009

Relief Society


I have had the opportunity to serve in the Relief Society Presidency in our ward for
just over two years now, the last 10-ish months as the President. I was just released on
Sunday and have been thinking about what I have learned.

Obviously I have learned A LOT about Relief Society, the different organizations
within it, and purposes for it. I have a stronger testimony about each aspect of
Relief Society: visiting teaching, enrichment, service, etc.

When Julie Beck said we weren't fulfilling the potential of Relief Society as we could,
I thought there was some grand secret I needed to find. But after talking with the
Stake Relief Society President (who I want to be like when I grow up), I realized
that we have everything we need: visiting teaching, enrichment, Sunday lessons, etc.
We just need to maximize and combine our efforts.

In the past I wasn't quite sure what "Building the Kingdom" entailed. Now I know that it
is accomplished on the most basic and fundamental level as I
participate in my ward,
specifically in Relief Society. I don't have to, and shouldn't, wait until I am older or
better or smarter or have more time.

I have served with 7 amazing sisters and was able to learn all kinds of random skills
from them. I have been able to learn from others that have served as ward leaders
along with me. I have been able to learn from the sisters in the ward as they
teach Sunday lessons, teach enrichment, fulfill their callings, share thoughts on Sunday,
serve each other and more.

I learned that you don't have to be the Relief Society President, or even in the presidency, to make
a difference. I saw how every calling can work together to make things happen/function.

I learned more about my weaknesses, as many of you probably did too. I think I have been able
to conduct Relief Society on Sundays without being nervous for several months now.

I have been able to convince myself to walk up to a sister's door (even though 5 times during
the 2 minute drive to her house I had decided not to) and visit with her, hopefully seeming
like it is no big deal even though I am trying hard not to be nervous.

I have learned to love and care about sisters that probably think I don't know who they are because I can still be shy (but not as shy as I used to be). I knew every sister's name and some things about each one.

I learned that my husband was more amazing, helpful and supportive than I had
previously known. He has helped around the house a lot, helped me gather my stuff so I
can get out the door to meetings, had dinner ready when I got home from work so I could
eat and run out the door for visits, listened to me, drove around with me to deliver
things, reviewed my lessons, and the list goes on.

9 comments:

Kristin said...

You have been such a great president and I have thought many times how I want to be more like you! I spoke with David once about how you maximize your calling- I like how you took Sister Beck's counsel to heart and sought change. That is the sign of a good leader, and disciple! I loved my time serving with you, and a part of me misses it dearly. Maybe someday we'll serve together again. In heaven, maybe? :) I sure hope we can!

Shayla and James said...

Oh Lina,
I just want to tell you thank you. Thank you for magnifying your calling not only as a counselor, visiting teaching partner, visiting teachingee, but also as Relief Society President in the ward. You truely were great, and I appreciate all that you did, and taught me, and continue to teach me. Thank you!:)

Stephanie said...

You were an awesome president. You were a great example to me. Thanks for being so amazing!

Sarah said...

Thank you Lina!

Amber said...

You are absolutely amazing Lina! I am honored to be your VT companion & kind of intimidated at the same time! You are an amazing woman/daughter of God!

Jessica Madsen said...

Inspiring. Patient. heart-warming. Sincere. anxiously engaged. Full of Love and Kindness. ....The 61st ward relief society was so blessed by your tireless service LIna. What an extraordinary person you are. President Reutzel and I had many heart to hearts about how your calling was divinly inspired at that time. You are so admirable. Well done. :)

Anonymous said...

Dang... I don't think I'm a very supporting husband after reading that... hmm... I'll do better. :D

Say hi to Nate for me!

The Larchars said...

Wow - you got the release, huh? I know you were an AMAZING president, and it was so fun to read the things you learned. I admire you so much Lina, you are a fabulous woman!

Chelsea and Dustin Walkenhorst. said...

Lina, thank you for sharing your thoughts about being RS president. I thought you were absolutely wonderful at your calling. I am so impressed that you knew every sisters name a something about them!
That is so exciting that Nathaniel applied for jobs in oregon! Good luck with the job hunt! miss you!

Blog Archive

Leelou Blogs