Seven years ago my brother Nephi drove me up to my apartment in Logan, helped me
unload my three boxes and my microwave, and drove away. I had been to Logan once
before that, for freshman orientation. On Saturday, I will drive away from Logan with
a degree, a wife, and a lot more than three boxes (In fact, as we have packed,
I've been astonished and somewhat embarrassed by the quantity of STUFF we have).
As the Logan years come to a close, I've been thinking about what I'll miss most.
Here's a list, in no particular order:
I will miss game days when half the student body are wearing USU shirts.
I will miss doing the Scottsman and seeing the rest of Spectrum in motion with me.
I will miss walking in the fall down the north side of the quad, when all the leaves
are turning, and light comes through all golden - the brick buildings on the left, and the quad on
the right, maybe a few leaves blowing around the sidewalk - I can't think of anything prettier.
I will miss finals week. There's this great feeling of camaraderie-in-suffering during
finals week when everyone is cramming, and everyone is stressed, but everyone
is encouraging, too, and strangely cheerful.
I will miss walking down the main street of campus during homecoming week when all
the campus clubs paint bright, vivid murals on the road.
I will miss reading positive remarks from professors on my assignments.
I'll miss running with my brother in the mornings; relatedly, I'll probably miss
being in shape pretty soon.
I'll miss going all over the valley and being able to say, "I put in that sprinkler system.
I worked on that barn. I painted that fence. I broke that guy's lawnmower..."
What would be nice is if I could bring this all into a nice, tight circle and without being
really cheesy, say something about how I came with only four boxes, and I'm leaving
with all these fond memories. Unfortunately, I can't think of any way to say
that without feeling kind of Hallmark-hall-of-fame-y.
Suffice it to say then, that I'm going to miss this city very much.
unload my three boxes and my microwave, and drove away. I had been to Logan once
before that, for freshman orientation. On Saturday, I will drive away from Logan with
a degree, a wife, and a lot more than three boxes (In fact, as we have packed,
I've been astonished and somewhat embarrassed by the quantity of STUFF we have).
As the Logan years come to a close, I've been thinking about what I'll miss most.
Here's a list, in no particular order:
I will miss game days when half the student body are wearing USU shirts.
I will miss doing the Scottsman and seeing the rest of Spectrum in motion with me.
I will miss walking in the fall down the north side of the quad, when all the leaves
are turning, and light comes through all golden - the brick buildings on the left, and the quad on
the right, maybe a few leaves blowing around the sidewalk - I can't think of anything prettier.
I will miss finals week. There's this great feeling of camaraderie-in-suffering during
finals week when everyone is cramming, and everyone is stressed, but everyone
is encouraging, too, and strangely cheerful.
I will miss walking down the main street of campus during homecoming week when all
the campus clubs paint bright, vivid murals on the road.
I will miss reading positive remarks from professors on my assignments.
I'll miss running with my brother in the mornings; relatedly, I'll probably miss
being in shape pretty soon.
I'll miss going all over the valley and being able to say, "I put in that sprinkler system.
I worked on that barn. I painted that fence. I broke that guy's lawnmower..."
What would be nice is if I could bring this all into a nice, tight circle and without being
really cheesy, say something about how I came with only four boxes, and I'm leaving
with all these fond memories. Unfortunately, I can't think of any way to say
that without feeling kind of Hallmark-hall-of-fame-y.
Suffice it to say then, that I'm going to miss this city very much.

1 comment:
I know how you feel. And, yes, married people can accumulate a lot of stuff. Good luck in Orem!
Post a Comment