Monday, January 18, 2010

Our Little Miracle



Anika Mae Hardman was born by C-section at 6:57 PM on Thursday, January 14th. She weighed
5 lbs 3 oz and was 17 inches long. She was born at 36 1/2 weeks so she is considered
late pre-term. However, the doctors think she is one or probably even two weeks younger than
that. This is based on her wrinkles, her ability to eat and her general "behavior."

Thankfully she is rather healthy. There have been concerns with her blood sugar,
oxygen, temperature maintenance and a few other things that have all resolved themselves.
She hasn't had to be on oxygen at all. Really the only issues are her feeding/weight gain and
jaundice. She was under the lights for jaundice for 2 days and was able to have them
turned off today (Wednesday 1-20). So her feeding is the main focus. She needs to be able
to follow a feeding schedule in order to leave the hospital. At this point she is only able
to eat 10% or less of her food by mouth; the rest is through a feeding tube. In order to
go home, she needs to be able to eat 100% by mouth.

She hasn't been in the NICU, but she is in a special care unit and will likely be there
for another week or two. She had an IV in her hand, and then she had one in her head
(as you can see in the picture above). We are delighted to have that out,
and it has been replaced with a feeding tube.

She is such a sweetheart! We are very blessed to have her here - I'll try to
post soon with more details about our crazy experience. We love her so much!


11 comments:

The Hicks of Kentucky said...

Wow, yea you don't look very pregnant at all in that first pic! That is what I look like after having Olivia! lol. But I was pretty huge when I was pregnant! We are so excited for you guys! We will keep her in our prayers. Congrats! You will LOVE being a Mommy!

Nathan Wheeler said...

I'm glad she's doing so well overall! Once she gets feeding down and she can come home you can join the sleep deprived parents association- and it will be wonderful! Lina you look really good for just having a baby! Sending our love and prayers :)

-steph wheeler

Jill said...

Oh Lina! I've been wondering how everything went, how you were, how she was and how Nathaniel was doing with all of it. You're all in our prayers. She's darling.

Dave and Sharon Barrus said...

She's beautiful! Good luck with the whole feeding thing! Brandon didn't nurse for 2 weeks after he was born and was under the lights the whole time, so I feel your pain. Sounds like you were really blessed, though, in getting her here safely--both you and Anika! Are you at Mt. Timpanogos?

Jacob and Sarah Jenkins said...

Thank you so much for the pictures and update. Anika is beautiful! We love all three of you!!

Meredith said...

So glad that she seems to be improving! Hopefully you can take her home soon. We're thinking about you and hope things continue to go smoothly!

Shayla and James said...

Congrats again. Anika is such a darling name and she is looking good. I am glad that she came when she did and things are going well for you. I am so excited for you. She is truly going to be blessed to have such such great parents. She is a doll. Let me know if I can do anything for you!

Unknown said...

Exciting times! Fortunately babies are pretty resilient (Noel almost died when he was born and he seems to be doing alright). Good luck!

ATP said...

Love the middle name too! Give a few kisses to Anika for us. She's beautiful.

Amber said...

What a strong little girl! Hang in there Anika you're almost there!!! We are thinking of you guys & hope everything continues to improve & you can take her home & love her even more. Thanks for the update!

Catlin said...

I just saw that you had your baby! Congratulations! I hope everything is going okay. It must be so hard to have her stay in the hospital still, but what a blessing to have her here! Good luck!

Blog Archive

Leelou Blogs