Saturday, January 23, 2010

Update

Sleepy Girl

Here are some pictures of Anika at one week. We don't have a picture of it yet, but we've
decided that she is part potato bug. She curls up suddenly all the time. She has had a
few good feedings lately. "Good" for her means around 20ml, which is still less than
half of her feeding. We can only feed her by mouth 1 in every 3 feedings. It is our
favorite thing to go and see her bundled up in her crib like a burrito, sucking on her pacifier
with her eyes wide open and looking all around, just content as can be.

Happy with Daddy

Some people aren't sure how to pronounce Anika. It sounds like Monica.

The angle on this picture is a little funny... but she's still cute.

By the way, the "37 Week" post with picture was supposed to be a joke.
We hoped it would come across that way, but I guess it didn't. I would have been
37 weeks when we took the picture, but I had already had the baby. :)

I was kept at the hospital until Tuesday so the doctors could keep an eye on a
few things. Not everything has quite settled down yet. I was discharged later
that day, but we took advantage of the hospital's boarding program. That allowed us
to stay 48 hours in an empty room (the same one we were in). The deal is that we
don't receive any services or get our room cleaned, but we can stay if they have
enough rooms while our baby is in special care. It was nice. We came home Thursday night.
I'm doing better and better, but I'm slow and can't really do anything besides eat,
sleep and visit Anika. My arms are still all bruised. You can't see very
well in the pictures, but they look terrible!

My laryngitis has mostly cleared up. My cough got worse before it got
better. I think it is almost gone. It has been a killer with a c-section incision.
Even with my pain meds it hurt REALLY bad to cough. I was always having
to brace myself. I'm so glad it is getting better.

7 comments:

Sylwia said...

i know how you are feeling. i had 5 c sections. just thinking about it makes me hurt.

if anika likes the pacifier why can't she just suck on a bottle with food? or at the breast?

i have very strong feelings about what doctors recommend. i usually don't agree with them. if i were you, i'd try to feed her by mouth as much as possible and get rid of that feeding tube as soon as possible. she needs to feel hungry enough to want to eat and suck. that will make her stronger. the feeding tube is giving her nutrition but keeping her weak.

well, anyway, now you know what i think. she is a beautiful baby. i hope she gets stronger and can be home soon.

sylwia

Amber said...

Well I'm glad things are looking up. I hope you are healing well and Anika gets to come home soon. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Oh she is a doll. I love the name Anika too. I'm way happy for you guys. I'm sorry to hear about the laryngitis. Holy cow, I couldn't imagine the pain of coughing while you're recovering! Really, I feel for you. I hope you get to take her home soon!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on little Anika! She's adorable. I'm glad mom and baby are well. Keep the pics coming!

The Larchars said...

She IS super cute, and I'm sorry you've been in so much pain! I totally want to come visit and bring your gift. I will contact you early this week to see what works for you!
Hang in there girl! You're a trooper!!!

seanandnataliekowallis said...

I know I didn't get a c-section, but after having a 9 1/2 lb baby vaginally and getting ripped bad enough to not be able to sit flat and comfortably for almost 3 months, I can only imagine what the coughing was like. I'm glad you're feeling better. She's really cute!

Stephanie said...

I loved your "37 weeks" post. :) I'm sorry to hear you had laryngitis, I'm glad you're recovering. Hopefully Anika will get to go home soon. Congratulations again! She's so beautiful!

Blog Archive

Leelou Blogs